To those outside the profession, PR has always seemed a cut throat business, and the associated businesses around it are certainly adding to that reputation of ruthlessness. Take for example the recruitment agencies; about 20% of them are decent, the other 80% would shaft their own grandmother, thus adding to the already poor reputation that PR has. A recent example of their sharp practise astounded my company only a few weeks ago when my MD uncovered some very shady goings on. We use a recruitment agency who we discovered had tried to lure one of our account managers to a new job in a different PR firm. If their ruse had not been discovered, we would then have paid them a fee to find us a new account manager and they would have received a fee from the PR company who employed our account manager. The moral of this story is, if you get in bed with the devil, expect him to urinate on your doorstep.