Jim Moran created a great stunt for a bed company in Alabama in 1959 for their 40th anniversary. He came up with the first electrical bed which included in its design a teas maid, a television and radio and a mechanism that could elevate or lower the angle of the bed.
It was a first… and generated endless pages of coverage, despite the fact that one of the models who appeared in the photo shoot was actually electrocuted. Moran managed to cover that up even though the girl was left in a coma. It had been the fault of the engineer who hadn’t earthed the bed properly when it was put together. Talk about making the most of a bad situation; Moran later cashed in on the model in a coma story for a follow up bed promotion, claiming that this girl was not in a coma, but had been asleep due to the extreme comfort that these beds offered.
The bed company was ecstatic, as was Moran’s bank balance, and to this day the bed company pays for the bed in which the poor model lies, still in a coma.